Friday, July 27, 2012


Boy’s RYLA Camp
July 25, 2012

As I left Estancia, I met with PDG Dick Jones.  We hit the road again heading for RYLA.  45 minutes later we were at the Boy’s RYLA camp and preparing for a one hour presentation on “Leadership and Failure”.  At 7:00 that evening I was speaking again from the position as Governor, encouraging 61 of the best young men I have ever met, to be better by using the 4-Way Test.

61 young men, viral and still ready to go, and a number of councilors with smiles and excitement showing through tired and exhausted grins welcomed us into their home for one week.  I was amazed to see the variety of students and the energy that appeared to come from nowhere and exist at all times.

The talent show was too funny one time and too strange the next.  Some things we understood and some I found myself scratching my head feeling very old and disconnected.  We were welcomed and taken in as if each of these participants had known us all of their lives.

The next day we watched some of the RYLA Olympics and then headed home.  A long and wonderful week had been accomplished and it was finished with the most excellent of “Cherry Toppings”, RYLA.

And here come the RYLA Olympians

They came by cabin.

They came with color.

All shapes and sizes.

All colors!

All very separate in competition.

All together in Rotary.  

No comments: