Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Girl's RYLA 7-20-10

The Drive Up
What a beautiful drive from ABQ to RYLA via Tijeras.  So far this Rotary year, the two best drives I have had are 'scenic drive' in El Paso after the El Paso Club installation and this one.  This was great from a driving and scenary perspective in the curves and switchbacks are fun (especially when your car drives like a go cart).  Great small little towns to pass through on the way as well. 


The 80 or so young ladies of RYLA and their counselors
PDG Jackie with her 'aggressive' hair style.  I almost poked my eye out when I bent down to give her a hug.

Part of the course, imagine jumping from the platform to the handle bar...

My talk to the girls
The speech to the young ladies I totally winged.  We talked about self esteem issues and how they can manifest and hold one back when they get older.  This also included how decisions they make now, can affect that self esteem by effecting them the rest of their lives.  LOTS of energy and they made me feel very welcome.  We then went to the fire pit for smores! 

The drive back.... 
Leaving RYLA at dusk, with the windows down I headed out back to ABQ, the twisty roads were a blast to drive on, and at several points in the mountain there had been a rain earlier and steam was coming off the road.  The red sky on the west side of the mountain was very picturesque.  Every now and then a gust of pine scent would come through the windows.  Phenomenal drive home!

No comments: